Monday, April 27, 2009

Handi-Capable

As ya'll know, I'm technically disabled. I have fibromyalgia, arthritis throughout my body, blown disks in my neck and my left hand is partially paralyzed. I'm also only 4'10" tall -- not a disability, but a challenge. My legs don't work very well these days and I'm allergic to most chemicals, grass, trees, lanolin, sunlight, chocolate.... the list goes on and on and on. 

Three years ago I was told my a local weaving shop owner (who shall remain nameless) that I could not weave because of my physical challenges. She also called me an alien because of my allergy to lanolin. Hey chicke, I weave and spin silk, so bite me. Rant over, now where was I? :-) 

Anywho, I thought I'd give ya'll a rundown of the equipment I use and perhaps a few tips for those of us who are handi-capable and/or have life-threatening allergies. My primary loom is the Ashford 12" Knitters Loom. It's small, very portable, lightweight and weaves like a dream. When I'm traveling or visiting friends and family I often prop it against the built in seat of my walker. It works great, I don't have to carry a tv table thingie with me and I can participate in conversation and weave at the same time. I also have a Kromski Harp loom that is wider but it stays in my downstairs studio. I love it, but haven't woven on it lately due to my arms hurting a lot. 

Stick shuttles require too much arm movement for me, so I use slim boat shuttles with cardboard quills. I order the 6" ones and have Thor cut them to length. I wind my quill bobbins with a swedish bobbin winder. It's much easier on my hands and arms. 

Fiber wise, I love silk and merino. I also love to spin and weave with bamboo -- the carbonized kind is a particular favorite. On my really good days I enjoy spinning hemp and flax. I wet spin them and boil them to set the twist. 

My primary spinning *wheel* is my Fricke Electric Spinner. It's expensive, but worth its weight in gold. Thor built a custom stand for it that collapses for travel. I'll post a pic or two of it later on this week. I also have an Ashford Kiwi wheel which I love to spin on when my legs are feeling up to it. Babe spinning wheels are fantastic as well. They are lightweight, inexpensive and a pleasure to spin on. :-) 

I'm not affiliated (yada, yada) but you can't beat SOAK for washing your handspun yarn and weaving projects. It's fantastic and has no irritating chemicals. You could even take a bath in it. Talk about super eco-friendly! :-) 

That's about all I use to get my fiber and weaving fix. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them in the comments. Where there's a will, there's a way to spin and weave. And it's cheaper than therapy. :-) 

Until next time.... 




No comments:

Post a Comment