Tuesday, April 14, 2009

This Warp Goes to 11


One of the things I've noticed lately is I like to REALLY crank up my warp. Seriously. If the front apron rod isn't bending a bit, it's not tight enough. :-) Loom manufactures take notice -- I'm available to test them out for you. I prefer really tight warps because I get a better shed and don't have to beat my weft as hard -- a plus when your arms and shoulders hurt all the time. :-) 

During the weaving there is a small gap between wefts, but remember the warp is under A LOT of tension. Once the piece comes off the loom and is washed, the weft threads relax and snuggle together very nicely. The pic here is my current project. Sorry about the quality. I had to take it with my laptop camera. Thor if you're reading this, we need to have a techie talk about my digital camera. The Queen of Bedsheetia wants a new one or at least learn how to use yours. :-) 

Coming up soon -- pics of projects both past and present -- and trying to weave with twine. Stay tuned... 

2 comments:

  1. I think it's an AWESOME picture - it's artsy! :-) Of course those are my favorite colors so I might be a tiny bit biased....

    I replaced my wooden apron rods with aluminum - I can crank the warp *past* 11 and the rods won't bend! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank Ewe! :-) Aluminum huh? I'm going to have to get Thor working on a couple for me. :-) Thanks for the great tip! :-)

    ReplyDelete